Formal introductory letter

Dear Professor Blackstone, 


I hope this letter finds you well. My name is Victoria, currently in my first year studying Mechanical Design & Manufacturing Engineering at SIT. I am writing to you to share some insights about myself. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in electronic systems. Through my diploma modules from polytechnic such as automation systems and mechanics, it sparked my interest in engineering which inspired me to further my career in the industry. 


A communication strength I possess is active listening when interacting with others. As someone whom my friends would always approach when in need, I would give them my full attention when they speak before giving feedback. This allowed me to understand their situation before helping them and also build better relationships with the people I met. However, I do have a specific area of weakness, which is my public speaking skills. I faced challenges such as speaking too fast which led to my mind blanking out during presentations.


Looking ahead to this module, I have set goals for myself. Firstly, I aim to refine my public speaking skills and gain more confidence when presenting. Secondly, I aspire to strengthen my collaborative skills by actively engaging with my peers during group projects and fostering an environment of open communication.


A quote by Robert Schuller: “Tough times don’t last, tough people do” is something that I have always stuck to since secondary school and it always reminded me to never give up easily when facing challenges.


Thank you for taking the time to read this introduction of mine. I look forward to the valuable insights and knowledge gained under your guidance.


Regards, 


Victoria


Comments

  1. Hi victoria, thanks for the clear and precise piece of introduction. it is very well written and i liked the part where you shared the quote that keeps you motivated. Hope to hear more from you along the way.
    Regards,
    JiaJun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria,

    Thank you for sharing with us your insightful introduction and your goals for this module. I can infer that you have a strong foundation in electronics, which carried over to your interest in engineering.

    Your communication strength of active listening is a essential asset, and is evident when you are approached by your friends when they are in need. Being self aware about your own weakness, is a crucial step towards self-improvement. Public speaking is a challenging issue for many individuals, and i find your determination to improve your public speaking skills is a commendable goal. I hope you will find the presentation opportunities in this module fruitful to improve your public speaking.

    The quote by Robert Schuller you shared, "Tough times don’t last, tough people do," displays your perseverance and resilient attitude. This mindset will prove useful in our upcoming years of study and even in the workforce.

    All in all, I have learnt many things about you through this introduction letter and I look forward to working with you.

    Warmest regards,
    Keefe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Victoria,

    Thank you for this mostly fluent, informative letter. In it you address the key areas of the brief, doing so with a decent degree of development. I like the way you provide a description of your educational background, but it would have been good to elaborate further in how the modules you took in poly sparked your interest.

    You seem to make a more complete effort in describing how you serve your friends as an active and empathetic listener. You also openly share your weakness in public speaking. We will adress that in the coming weeks.

    I'm impressed by the Schuller quote, but it might have been good to contextualize that by explaining what areas have been the most challenging for you, requiring perseverance.

    This post shows effective language use except in a couple instances:

    1. sentence structure
    -- Through my diploma modules from polytechnic such as automation systems and mechanics, it sparked my interest in engineering which inspired me to further my career in the industry. > What actually sparked your interest? That should be the subject of this sentence.) Try this:
    My diploma modules from polytechnic such as automation systems and mechanics sparked my interest in engineering which inspired me to further my career in the industry.
    -- As someone whom my friends would always approach when in need, I would give them my full attention when they speak before giving feedback. > (Use of the subordinating conjunction "as")
    ?

    2. punctuation
    -- A quote by Robert Schuller: .... > A quote by Robert Schuller, ....

    I look forward to getting to know you better in the next couple months.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary draft 1

The Importance of communication skills for engineers